Miranda was part of the widespread activity for Dream Tea on 20th June 2014, providing baking tips and advice, as part of Dreams Come True’s biggest annual fundraising campaign.
All of the baking and photography for this campaign was completed in Miranda’s Chalon kitchen.
We’re very pleased to be able share Miranda’s recipe for her Dreamy Chocolate Mocha cake:
Dark chocolate and coffee sponge cake is sandwiched with rich chocolate ganache and heavenly coffee scented cream. Generously decorate with swirls of glossy ganache and chocolate shavings to make the dreamiest of cakes.
For the cake
• 235g unsalted butter, softened
• 235g caster sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons of semi skimmed milk
• 165g self raising flour
• 65g ground almonds
• 2 teaspoons of baking powder
• 60g cocoa
• 100g dark chocolate (I use Belgian or Bourneville)
• 1 tablespoon of instant coffee mixed with 1 tablespoon of boiling water
For the rich chocolate ganache
• 350g Bourneville
• 350ml of double cream
For the coffee cream
• 200ml double or whipping cream
• 50g icing sugar
• 1 tablespoon of coffee mixed with 1 tablespoon of boiling water
For the decoration
• 50g white chocolate
• 50g milk chocolate
• Chocolate covered coffee beans
- First, make the ganache: Break the chocolate for the ganache into a heatproof bowl, add the double cream and place over a pan of simmering water to melt.
- Once the chocolate has started to melt, stir well to combine with the cream. Remove the bowl from the heat and stand in the kitchen to cool and firm up a little (not in the fridge)
- Melt the chocolate for the cake and put to one side to cool a little.
- Line two 8inch (20cm) loose bottomed cake tins with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a mixer or in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon – mix until pale and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a jug, beat with a fork then add to the butter and sugar mixture a little at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Use a large metal spoon to gently fold in the flour, baking powder, cocoa and ground almonds.
- Fold in the coffee and melted chocolate and gently mix until well combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the two tins and smooth the tops to level.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until springy to touch and coming away from the sides of the tin.
- Whip together the cream and icing sugar for the coffee cream until stiff peaks then fold in the coffee mixture. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to put the cake together.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and leave in their tins to cool for at least ten minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are completely cold, put one cake onto a pretty cake stand or cake plate, spread on a thick layer of ganache and a generous layer of the coffee cream.
- Put the second cake on top and cover the top with the remaining ganache.
- Grate or shave the chocolate on top.
Stay in touch with Miranda via Twitter: